26A - Celebrating Failure

26A – Celebrating Failure

1) Tell us about a time this past semester that you failed -- whether in this class, or outside of this class. Don't spare any details! It'd be even better if there was something you tried several times this semester, and failed each time.


I have failed at telling people no. I have a hard time telling people no when they ask for favors. I am overwhelmed as it is with school, work and life, yet I still take on extra stuff because I like to help people and I feel bad if I don’t. This has happened many times this semester. It has been from little things like someone asking help with their Firestick, to buying something for them while I’m trying to travel Europe and forget worries.

2) Tell us what you learned from it.

I have learned that the couple times that I did put my foot down and said no, I really didn’t feel too bad. I actually felt kind of proud of myself for finally saying no to someone. I also learned that helping people all the time hinders them on learning how to solve problems themselves. I found out that my friend survived without my help… imagine that!

3) Reflect, in general, on what you think about failure. Failure is hard, isn't it? It's embarrassing, sure, but it also means that we have to change something about ourselves. Talk about how you handle failure (emotionally, behaviorally). Finally, talk about how this class has changed your perspective on failure -- are you more likely to take a risk now than you were just a few months ago?

I think failure is hard, of course it depends on what you’re failing at. Failing as a Mother is much different than failing to eat your veggies for the day. I try to learn from my failures. In this case, reflecting back on the people that I did not say no to for favors, I’ve realized that some of them I haven’t spoken to in months! So, it has encouraged me to learn to say no more often and have more time for myself. I am a worrier. In handling failure, as I get older, I’ve learned that it’s part of life. I feel upset with myself still when I fail, but then I think…. Hell ya only live once.

Entrepreneurship has changed my perspective on failure. I have read 3 required books that specifically mention failure and how they relate to risk. You must take risks to be an Entrepreneur. I also learned that some “risk” or failures lead to opportunities that you would have never thought of! It’s quite interesting how that works.

Comments

  1. Failure is definitely a touchy subject for everybody. We always strive to be perfect but with that in mind we all fail. Recently, I too, have been struggling with my time management skills, especially with all these exams coming up. Instead of grinding for my pre chem exam this weekend so I'm not stressing, we went out to my buddies lake house to hang out for the weekend. I definitely should've learned my lesson and did the same thing you did and say no. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

21A – Reading Reflection No. 2

24A - Venture Concept No. 1

28A - Your Exit Strategy