4A - Forming an Opportunity Belief
“An estimated 22 Million Americans suffer from moderate to severe sleep apnea. Current US population is 326 million people: 10% have mild obstructive sleep apnea.”[1] That’s some mullah to be made! Most CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) users can’t afford expensive cleaning machine and are forced to hand wash and soak their mask in liquids such as vinegar. Let’s face it, that’s inconvenient! First, they must remember to take the time to do it. Second, they must rinse and rinse. I mean, who wants a mask smelling like vinegar that they are forced to breathe through all night? The need to get things done quickly is increasing as this new world wants instant gratification! We are too busy for soaking masks! I am 85% sure that there is an opportunity for this need, and even then, I feel that I am underestimating the demand potential.
As of now, there is one machine on the market called the SoClean machine. The SoClean machine is expensive, retailing at approximately $300 and only sanitizes. Thus, the machine is effective in eliminating germs, however it does not actually wash the mask. Oils and residue remain in the mask. There are not any CPAP mask washing cleaning machines on the market.
I believe there is a real unmet need for a CPAP cleaning apparatus for the masks. Those who suffer from Sleep Apnea are faced with the nuisance of cleaning their masks at least once a week. I believe developing an easy, fast, convenient and cost-efficient way to minimize the stress of cleaning the mask would improve the use of CPAP therapy, ultimately reducing the stress of the user while also improving overall health. My idea would be to develop a mask holding device that could go in a washing machine. Most people have washing machines and would benefit from this creative solution. The temperature of the washer can be controlled; thus, the mask would not melt. The customer would benefit from pure convenience.
1) Mr. R. F. – Spouse – CPAP User
- Q1: What method do you currently use to clean your CPAP mask?
A: I soak the tubes and the mask in a distilled water vinegar solution base for an hour. After soaking the tube and mask in the solution, I spend two to three hours soaking it in distilled water and continuously rinsing to attempt to get the smell of the vinegar out of the equipment.
- Q2: How often do you feel a need to clean your CPAP mask?
A: I become aware of the need about once a week. A CPAP user knows when it is time to clean the mask. The condensation in the mask gives off a sense of mildew/mold smell. I have noticed that it is worse in hot and humid environments, which causes bacteria to grow.
- Q3: Were you aware of CPAP mask cleaning devices, and if so, how did you hear about them?
A: No, I am not aware of any CPAP mask cleaning devices. I was only informed on how to clean the mask with a vinegar solution.
- Q4: Have you had an interest in purchasing a CPAP mask cleaning device? How long have you had the need or desire to purchase a cleaning machine for your CPAP?
A: I never knew that there was any type of cleaning device out there. I would be interested in more information.
- Q5: Would you be interested in a low-cost alternative that allows you to clean your CPAP mask in your own washing machine? What benefits do you foresee by utilizing such a device?
A: Yes, I would be interested. It would save me time, eliminate the vinegar smell and ensure that the mask is properly cleansed and not just sanitized.
Reflection: My husband is rather new to using a CPAP machine. He was rather intrigued when I mentioned my idea of developing a mask cleaner that would be inexpensive and that actually cleans the mask. I learned that some people are not aware of any cleaning devices, so marketing would be crucial. The most surprising thing I learned was that it truly does take a long time to hand clean the CPAP mask.
2) Mrs. P. L. – Nurse – Sleep Disorders Clinic
- Q1: What method do you currently use to clean your CPAP mask?
A: Vinegar and water
- Q2: How often do you feel a need to clean your CPAP mask?
A: Hose once a week, Mask should be done daily but am not good about remembering to do it because it takes time in the morning. Maybe once a week for the mask as well.
- Q3: Were you aware of CPAP mask cleaning devices, and if so, how did you hear about them?
A: Yes, from other CPAP users
- Q4: Have you had an interest in purchasing a CPAP mask cleaning device? How long have you had the need or desire to purchase a cleaning machine for your CPAP?
A: I have not had an interest in purchasing one due to the cost and the fact that it does not physically clean the oil and skin cells from my face off of the mask. I don’t see the benefit in spending a large amount of money on a device and the electricity to run it daily when I also have to physically clean it anyway.
- Q5: Would you be interested in a low-cost alternative that allows you to clean your CPAP mask in your own washing machine? What benefits do you foresee by utilizing such a device?
A: I would definitely be interested. Being able to just throw it in the washing machine or even the dish washer is a great convenience and money saver. I’m already spending the time and money to run both machines already for daily tasks, and it serves a dual purpose to not only clean the debris from the surface but sanitize it as well all in one step. As opposed to using the expensive sanitizing machine and then cleaning it again to remove debris.
Reflection: I chose to interview the Nurse for the Landstuhl Sleep Disorders Clinic because she uses a CPAP machine and she also is familiar with patients and their concerns. I learned that it seems that the common way to hand clean the CPAP mask is with vinegar and water. The most surprising thing I learned was that she has the desire to clean her mask every day, which leads to the thought that people might use this device more often than I originally thought.
3) Dr. R. S. – Sleep Disorders Clinic Physician
- Q1: What method do you currently use to clean your CPAP mask?
A: I use diluted soapy water solution and hand-wash mask in bathroom sink.
- Q2: How often do you feel a need to clean your CPAP mask?
A: I would like to clean my mask at least every other day, but often go up to 5-7 days without cleaning due to time constraints and/or hassle.
- Q3: Were you aware of CPAP mask cleaning devices, and if so, how did you hear about them?
A: First heard about SoClean sanitizing device at a vendor booth during a sleep conference.
- Q4: Have you had an interest in purchasing a CPAP mask cleaning device? How long have you had the need or desire to purchase a cleaning machine for your CPAP?
A: I don’t have an interest in purchasing any current device due to cost and space limitations (no room at bedside).
- Q5: Would you be interested in a low-cost alternative that allows you to clean your CPAP mask in your own washing machine? What benefits do you foresee by utilizing such a device?
A: Yes! I would be very interested in a product that is cost effective, reliable and simple to use, so I can avoid the time and hassle of hand-washing mask.
Reflection: I was excited at the opportunity to interview a Sleep Disorders Doctor. They literally are the ones that the patients confide in and he was able to share some amazing knowledge. What I learned about my opportunity from Dr. S. was that soapy water is an alternative to using vinegar to clean the CPAP mask. The most surprising thing I learned about my opportunity from Dr. S. was another networking outlet, i.e. vendor booths at sleep conferences that providers attend.
Summary: Wow! The interviews really make me want to invent the device ASAP! The response that I received proved that there is a demand for a CPAP cleaning machine that is low-cost and efficient. I think all of my original opportunity is available. I do believe my opportunity is more accurate than when I started. The interviews provided me with good feedback and I discovered that individuals vary on how often they actually want to clean their masks. I do believe that entrepreneurs should adapt their opportunities based on customer feedback. After all, customers are the ones that will be buying the product!
[1] (2018, May 16). Sleep Apnea Statistics. Retrieved from https://www.cheapcpapsupplies.com/blog/sleep-apnea-statistics/
As of now, there is one machine on the market called the SoClean machine. The SoClean machine is expensive, retailing at approximately $300 and only sanitizes. Thus, the machine is effective in eliminating germs, however it does not actually wash the mask. Oils and residue remain in the mask. There are not any CPAP mask washing cleaning machines on the market.
I believe there is a real unmet need for a CPAP cleaning apparatus for the masks. Those who suffer from Sleep Apnea are faced with the nuisance of cleaning their masks at least once a week. I believe developing an easy, fast, convenient and cost-efficient way to minimize the stress of cleaning the mask would improve the use of CPAP therapy, ultimately reducing the stress of the user while also improving overall health. My idea would be to develop a mask holding device that could go in a washing machine. Most people have washing machines and would benefit from this creative solution. The temperature of the washer can be controlled; thus, the mask would not melt. The customer would benefit from pure convenience.
1) Mr. R. F. – Spouse – CPAP User
- Q1: What method do you currently use to clean your CPAP mask?
A: I soak the tubes and the mask in a distilled water vinegar solution base for an hour. After soaking the tube and mask in the solution, I spend two to three hours soaking it in distilled water and continuously rinsing to attempt to get the smell of the vinegar out of the equipment.
- Q2: How often do you feel a need to clean your CPAP mask?
A: I become aware of the need about once a week. A CPAP user knows when it is time to clean the mask. The condensation in the mask gives off a sense of mildew/mold smell. I have noticed that it is worse in hot and humid environments, which causes bacteria to grow.
- Q3: Were you aware of CPAP mask cleaning devices, and if so, how did you hear about them?
A: No, I am not aware of any CPAP mask cleaning devices. I was only informed on how to clean the mask with a vinegar solution.
- Q4: Have you had an interest in purchasing a CPAP mask cleaning device? How long have you had the need or desire to purchase a cleaning machine for your CPAP?
A: I never knew that there was any type of cleaning device out there. I would be interested in more information.
- Q5: Would you be interested in a low-cost alternative that allows you to clean your CPAP mask in your own washing machine? What benefits do you foresee by utilizing such a device?
A: Yes, I would be interested. It would save me time, eliminate the vinegar smell and ensure that the mask is properly cleansed and not just sanitized.
Reflection: My husband is rather new to using a CPAP machine. He was rather intrigued when I mentioned my idea of developing a mask cleaner that would be inexpensive and that actually cleans the mask. I learned that some people are not aware of any cleaning devices, so marketing would be crucial. The most surprising thing I learned was that it truly does take a long time to hand clean the CPAP mask.
2) Mrs. P. L. – Nurse – Sleep Disorders Clinic
- Q1: What method do you currently use to clean your CPAP mask?
A: Vinegar and water
- Q2: How often do you feel a need to clean your CPAP mask?
A: Hose once a week, Mask should be done daily but am not good about remembering to do it because it takes time in the morning. Maybe once a week for the mask as well.
- Q3: Were you aware of CPAP mask cleaning devices, and if so, how did you hear about them?
A: Yes, from other CPAP users
- Q4: Have you had an interest in purchasing a CPAP mask cleaning device? How long have you had the need or desire to purchase a cleaning machine for your CPAP?
A: I have not had an interest in purchasing one due to the cost and the fact that it does not physically clean the oil and skin cells from my face off of the mask. I don’t see the benefit in spending a large amount of money on a device and the electricity to run it daily when I also have to physically clean it anyway.
- Q5: Would you be interested in a low-cost alternative that allows you to clean your CPAP mask in your own washing machine? What benefits do you foresee by utilizing such a device?
A: I would definitely be interested. Being able to just throw it in the washing machine or even the dish washer is a great convenience and money saver. I’m already spending the time and money to run both machines already for daily tasks, and it serves a dual purpose to not only clean the debris from the surface but sanitize it as well all in one step. As opposed to using the expensive sanitizing machine and then cleaning it again to remove debris.
Reflection: I chose to interview the Nurse for the Landstuhl Sleep Disorders Clinic because she uses a CPAP machine and she also is familiar with patients and their concerns. I learned that it seems that the common way to hand clean the CPAP mask is with vinegar and water. The most surprising thing I learned was that she has the desire to clean her mask every day, which leads to the thought that people might use this device more often than I originally thought.
3) Dr. R. S. – Sleep Disorders Clinic Physician
- Q1: What method do you currently use to clean your CPAP mask?
A: I use diluted soapy water solution and hand-wash mask in bathroom sink.
- Q2: How often do you feel a need to clean your CPAP mask?
A: I would like to clean my mask at least every other day, but often go up to 5-7 days without cleaning due to time constraints and/or hassle.
- Q3: Were you aware of CPAP mask cleaning devices, and if so, how did you hear about them?
A: First heard about SoClean sanitizing device at a vendor booth during a sleep conference.
- Q4: Have you had an interest in purchasing a CPAP mask cleaning device? How long have you had the need or desire to purchase a cleaning machine for your CPAP?
A: I don’t have an interest in purchasing any current device due to cost and space limitations (no room at bedside).
- Q5: Would you be interested in a low-cost alternative that allows you to clean your CPAP mask in your own washing machine? What benefits do you foresee by utilizing such a device?
A: Yes! I would be very interested in a product that is cost effective, reliable and simple to use, so I can avoid the time and hassle of hand-washing mask.
Reflection: I was excited at the opportunity to interview a Sleep Disorders Doctor. They literally are the ones that the patients confide in and he was able to share some amazing knowledge. What I learned about my opportunity from Dr. S. was that soapy water is an alternative to using vinegar to clean the CPAP mask. The most surprising thing I learned about my opportunity from Dr. S. was another networking outlet, i.e. vendor booths at sleep conferences that providers attend.
Summary: Wow! The interviews really make me want to invent the device ASAP! The response that I received proved that there is a demand for a CPAP cleaning machine that is low-cost and efficient. I think all of my original opportunity is available. I do believe my opportunity is more accurate than when I started. The interviews provided me with good feedback and I discovered that individuals vary on how often they actually want to clean their masks. I do believe that entrepreneurs should adapt their opportunities based on customer feedback. After all, customers are the ones that will be buying the product!
[1] (2018, May 16). Sleep Apnea Statistics. Retrieved from https://www.cheapcpapsupplies.com/blog/sleep-apnea-statistics/
Hi Elizabeth!
ReplyDeleteI really liked this post. I thought it was very detailed and you interviewed interesting people. I think that the people you interviewed gave you much needed insight on the topic. I don't know that much about CPAP machines, so it was interesting to learn more. I like how you included other devices on the market and how yours would be different from them. I don’t think any part of your post could be improved.
Ainsley Strackbein
Hey Liz,
ReplyDeleteThis is close to me as my mother needs a CPAP machine, here is the ringed, I have never seen her wash it. This has me very grossed out and i really think that this could benefit so many people. I always see adverts for the SoClean machine on tv and did not realize how expensive it was. I think your 85% should now be a 100%! the ability to make something inexpensive has always been a main route into entrepreneurship and it seems like you really do wanna invent this. Good luck!
Hey Liz,
ReplyDeleteThis post was interesting for me because I had never even realized people needed to clean their CPAP masks, let alone how time consuming it must be to have to clean all of the little aspects of the machine. In addition to this, I thought your interviews were very well structured in the sense that it seemed to provide meaningful insight to some of the things your prototypical customer values. In addition to this, it seems you also chose valuable people to interview that would provide some good feedback. Overall I really liked this post and honestly don't have anything you'd even need to improve, job well done!