6A - Identifying Opportunities in Economic and Regulatory Trends

6A – Identifying Opportunities in Economic & Regulatory Trends

Economic Trends:
1) America Is Declining in Global Economic Power

A) Source: https://www.thebalance.com/top-usa-future-economic-trends-3305666

B) I believe that an opportunity exists because Americans want to be a strong country and always be ahead of their global competitors. Other countries want to be like the United States and ultimately surpass the role of being the leader. China has pulled ahead of the U.S. in economic growth and has spread to Africa. Americans must learn to work with other countries and not continue to alienate itself or it will continue to be left behind.

C) The prototypical customer would be Americans who work in large companies that have the assets to branch out overseas and take domain.

D) I think this opportunity is relatively difficult to exploit, but not impossible. One would have to study what opportunities are available in countries such as Africa and pursue them. They would also need to consider cultural differences, which can be more difficult.

E) I think I saw this opportunity because I am the type of person that likes to lead. I would rather be in a country of power than a country that follows. Marketing class introduced me to the issue of global economic power, its importance and how the U.S. was falling behind.

2) Climate Change is Causing More Natural Disasters

A) Source: https://www.thebalance.com/top-usa-future-economic-trends-3305666

B) I believe that an opportunity exists because there is a direct correlation between global warming and increased greenhouse gases. Everything from increases storm intensity to fires to drought, all has been linked to greenhouse gases. The country pays more for food and has more overall damage.

C) I believe the prototypical customer would be the creators of fossil fuels and protectors of the Rain Forest.

D) I think it is difficult to exploit because this is not a new issue. It involves all the countries of the world. Focusing on the U.S, is beneficial, however the U.S. society has developed an “All about me” attitude and many don’t care about the future of anyone else. It would take strong regulation to interfere.

E) I believe an opportunity exists because of a few reasons: We could use this to work with other countries. We could become powerful by showing other countries how to take charge of an epidemic while bettering our country. I am from the east coast from Florida to North Carolina; I have seen some horrendous hurricanes. I almost lost my Momma to Katrina when it hit Biloxi. That would be the desire of why I found this opportunity.

Regulatory Changes:

1) Data Privacy in the United States

A) Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/bc-finreg-gdpr-one-year-report-card-part/data-privacy-and-gdpr-at-one-year-a-u-s-perspective-part-one-report-card-idUSKCN1SS2K5

B) I think this opportunity exists because privacy has been an ongoing and increasing issue in the United States. The lack of data privacy regulation has affected all aspects of American lives. For the U.S. to continue economic growth, it needs to jump on the privacy train. The EU has already created regulation with the GDPR.

C) The prototypical customers are any company that produces data. Thus, every American business and individual.

D) I think it is relatively easy to exploit because Americans are private people. They do not like to even have an outsider call their phone number. I believe strong regulation is around the corner and will compare to the EU regulations.

E) I saw this opportunity because I myself am concerned about data privacy. I do feel it can go overboard though. A downfall is clicking on the cookies disclosure on every single page I visit. I work for the U.S. government and we work with very strict data privacy laws as we are medical and adhere to the HIPAA guidelines. This does spike my interest in overall data privacy.

2) Cyberstalking is now a stalking offense under Article 130 of the UCMJ.
A) Source: https://www.army.mil/article/215594/2019_brings_changes_to_military_justice_system

B) I think this opportunity exists because the regulation has been passed as of 2019. There was a need for military members to have protection from cyberbullies / stalkers.

C) All military members and society are likely the customers with the opportunity. This regulation provides safety from and to anyone affiliated with the military.

D) I think the opportunity is easy to exploit as it is taught through mandatory military trainings.

E) I saw this opportunity because I am married to an Army Soldier and work for the U.S. government. It is important to stay up on new regulations that have a direct affect on my life.

Comments

  1. Hey Elizabeth,

    You made some great points in your post. I agree that climate change and global warming are having a huge negative impact on our world. Many people are unaware of what is happening and other people don't seem to really care. I believe there are many opportunities here for us to improve our way of living. If we don't take care of our earth, our earth won't take care of us. I agree with your point that we could use this opportunity to work with other countries and show our power as a country. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Liz,

    I thought this was a really solid post overall. It was interesting because you had actually used a couple of articles that I had read through as well but decided not to use. Specifically, the article about climate change leading to more natural disasters was especially intriguing because I actually read that one myself but couldn't think of a good enough reason as to why it was an opportunity, but I think you did an excellent job explaining it. The only thing I think you could improve in this post is maybe going a little more in depth as to why you feel your prototypical customers applied in each scenario, but even so I think you did well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment