12A - Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 1

12A – Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 1

Choosing a segment:


For this assignment, I chose a segment of experienced CPAP users aged 60 and older, that have used a CPAP machine for a minimum of 2 years and find that cleaning their CPAP masks is a nuisance.

Interview Questions:

Need Awareness:
1) What time of day do you clean your CPAP mask?
2) Specifically, where do you clean your CPAP mask?
3) How often do you feel the need to clean your CPAP mask?
4) What makes you realize that it is time to clean your CPAP mask?
5) At what point does your mask become intolerable and you must clean it?

Information Search:
6) When you become aware of the need to clean your CPAP mask, what is the very first thing you do to find a solution to your problem?
7) Do you look for any sources of information on an easier way to clean your mask?
8) Have you searched Google or any other engine for a solution to cleaning your mask?
9) If you were to search Google, what terms (key words) would you search?
10) Have you talked to family, friends, other CPAP Users, Doctors or Medical Supply companies about your mask cleaning nuisance?


Interviews: Random CPAP Users that are 60 and older – I do not know them at all

Interview 1:


He cleans his CPAP mask around 5:30 a.m., in the sink, on a daily basis. He said he cleans it every time after use. His answers canceled out some of my questions. He said he does look for sources for an easier way to clean his mask. He said he would search Google with the terms “CPAP mask clean.” He has talked to RESMED at a show, and they discussed the best liquid soap. He’s only talked to the Medical supply about the mask cleaning nuisance.

Interview 2:

He cleans his CPAP mask mid-morning, once a week, in the kitchen sink. He said he cleans it when it’s not fitting right and/or is getting soft. He said he never lets his mask become intolerable and must be cleaned. To find a solution to his CPAP issues he refers to the CPAP Therapy Facebook group. He has not searched Google or any other search engine for a solution or an easier way to clean his mask. He said that if he were to search Google his terms or key words would be “How to clean CPAP mask.” He says cleaning the mask is a nuisance, but he knows it has to be done. He has not talked to anyone about his mask being a nuisance to clean.

Interview 3:

He cleans his CPAP mask in the morning to allow time to dry. He cleans his mask in a plastic tub that he sets in his sink. He cleans his mask and other components (Hose and humidifier tank) every three days. When asking him what makes him realize that it is time to clean his CPAP mask he responded, “If you have been on CPAP as long as I have, you know 3 or 4 days is about as long as you go.” He said with experience you understand when the mask is intolerable because you will start getting sinus infections. He said that cleaning instructions were provided to him originally from his DME (Supply Company) and to find solutions he would read up on things. He shared that he has used 1 part white vinegar, 3 parts fairly warm water, a dash of non-scented dish soap and soaked it for 30 minutes. He would then rinse it well. He did that routine for 25 years without any issues. The last 1.5 year he has used a devices similar to the SoClean, only smaller and cheaper. He did a more normal soak and rinse and it seems to be working a little better. He said he searched “How to clean CPAP” & “Best way to clean CPAP.”

What I learned and Conclusions:

From these interviews for this segment, I learned that they prefer to clean their CPAP masks in the mornings, after using it at night. I draw the conclusion that if I were to provide my service and go to neighborhoods, morning visits would probably be preferred. This segment were very experienced with CPAP usage and seem to have a routine in place for their therapy and needs, as they have been using a CPAP for a long time. In terms of need awareness for this segment, it is a nuisance to clean the mask but I’m not sure if there is a real need for a CPAP Mask cleaning service, HOWEVER, they may pay for it just to have someone to talk to. At least that’s the conclusion I have drawn. They like to talk and had no issues being interviewed by a complete stranger. Another conclusion I found about this age segment in reference to information search, was that they find comfort in asking other CPAP users in a Facebook group questions that arise. I find this interesting that instead of just Googling, they feel an instant family bond within this group and they trust each other.

Comments

  1. Hey Liz,

    I came back to read your 12A because I've been following this business idea for several posts now and it's honestly intriguing to me how you've continued the search for CPAP users and breaking down your potential market into segments, considering I feel this venture could be a plausible one. What interests me most about this post is the conclusion you've drawn about likely needing to offer this service in the morning, where your particular segment would be most willing to accept the service. This seems extremely enlightening for your venture, and I think you've succeeded in the point of the information search, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Liz,

    I feel that the level of research you have conducted regarding your product is extremely well done. All the information you have gathered on this true issue is very impressive. I feel that you have found answers to serious and life hindering questions. Also, your interviews were greatly informative and very well done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

21A – Reading Reflection No. 2

24A - Venture Concept No. 1

28A - Your Exit Strategy