16A - What's Your Secret Sauce?


16A – What’s Your Secret Sauce?

Know Thyself

1) Describe five ways in which you think you have human capital that is truly unique. What is it about you, exactly, that makes you different? Write this up in a detailed list.

A) Experience: I have worked at three military hospitals in 3 different clinic settings: Emergency Room, MRI Department and Sleep Clinic. Working in the Sleep Clinic under four Providers, has provided me with an insight to Sleep Apnea and other disorders.

B) Communicator: I have lived in Japan, Italy, Germany and the United States. I understand the importance of communication. I know that there are different ways of communicating, depending on cultures.

C) Creative: I am known for coming up with the craziest ideas for solving issues that people are like wow that’s brilliant! For example: I have military coins and didn’t want to spend $30 on a coin holder for my office. I grabbed a gold binder clip, stuck the coin in it and propped it up and boom I have a coin holder. I am good at finding ways to solve issues.

D) Caring: I care deeply for others. If it is in a professional setting, I go above and beyond to help whoever needs it. I am the leader of the morale committee at my work.

E) Productive: When I put my mind to something, I accomplish it. I am very good at multi-tasking.

2) Interview the five people who know you the best. Ask them what they think makes you different -- remember, focus on your knowledge, skills, abilities, emotions -- in other words, your human capital. Try to stay away from discussing your other types of capital (such as who you know). Record each interview. In your post, please post each interview, as well as a two-three sentence summary of each interview, explaining what your key takeaways are. There is no time limit on these recordings.

A) Spouse: My hubby said that I am a caring giver and would do anything for anyone. He said that I am headstrong and powerful. He said that I have strong willpower and have a no quit attitude. He also said that I’m a solution seeker.

B) Daughter: My sweet daughter said that I am determined, a hard worker, am creative and have a big heart. She said that I go above and beyond for people.

C) Best Friend: My bestie said that I have a huge heart, I’m funny and I’m a lot of fun. He said that I take care of everyone else before myself. “I’m good people.” He mentioned that I’m a huge Gator fan!

D) My Dad: My Daddy said that I relate to people, I’m a leader, I get along with others and have a huge loving heart. He said that I am a hard worker.

E) Coworker / Friend: He said that I have good social intelligence and an emotional quotient. I have a way of easing people and calming them down. He also said that my networking skills are amazing. I know how not to burn bridges and utilize my connections to get things done.

3) Reflect on the differences. How do you see yourself, and how do others see you? Are there differences in how you assess yourself compared to others? What do you think causes these differences? Do you think your interviewees are correct about you? Finally, going back to your list from part 1, would you make any corrections to the list? How?

Well, let me start by saying I totally enjoyed this assignment! I knew that I was caring, but I didn’t realize how big of a heart everyone else feels I have. I definitely feel like the way I see myself is the way others see me. I said productive, they said hard worker. It made me happy that people think I am funny and fun. That makes me feel happy that I’m not seen as a boring human being with a dull personality. I wouldn’t change my list.

Comments

  1. Hi Elizabeth, I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I really like the skills you put down, the two I like in particular are communication and productivity. I've read other people's secret sauce assignment and almost everyone's blog post talks about how the people they asked complimented what they believe was their best trait/skills. And in their reflection they usually talk about how happy it makes them because their skills and traits are justified by other people

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Liz,

    This post made me feel good inside. It is not often that you see other peoples ideas of you as even better than your own. When wanting to work with someone it is good to here others opinions on them. If any future business partner were to read this, there would be no issue. This is the type of material that would get you a business partner or a great job. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Liz,

    I really liked this assignment as well. The feeling of learning how those closest to you feel about the way you live your life and carry yourself is not one I've really had before, and I think this assignment really helped me learn about myself. I really enjoyed that you were able to ask your daughter what they feel you do well, in life and as a mother, I found this extremely heart-warming. It is nice to see that you felt the same way I did about this assignment, it has truly been one of my favorite assignments in college so far and I feel I have really learned a lot about myself as a result, I am glad you did too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

21A – Reading Reflection No. 2

24A - Venture Concept No. 1

28A - Your Exit Strategy