20A – Growing Your Social Capital
20A – Growing
Your Social Capital
1) Who they are and what their background is.
Dr. Rodgers, Sleep Disorders Clinic Physician at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center.
2) How is this person a “domain expert”:
He diagnosis and treats people with Sleep Apnea. He helps the patient choose which method is most beneficial to treat the Sleep Apnea, whether it is via CPAP machine, MAD device, or Sleep bump / Noodle.
3) How I found and contacted this person:
I am lucky enough to work for the Landstuhl Sleep Disorders Clinic.
4) Nature of Exchange: What they did for me, what is the return expectation:
I explained to him my service idea, as well as my product idea. He answered questions I had referencing patient’s frustration with cleaning CPAP masks. He was very informative and really thought this service was brilliant and would be in high demand.
5) How will including them enhance my ability to exploit an opportunity:
He would agree that the majority of people believe that cleaning the CPAP masks are a nuisance. He offered that he would provide ideas on my actual product that would clean the CPAP masks. Having a Physician that specializes in Sleep Apnea and has follow up appointments with patients twice a year is very helpful. He has direct contact with the customer and I would be able to put my service information straight into their hands.
Market Expert:
1) Who they are and what their background is.
Jen is a Certified LPN at Janz Medical Supply.
2) How is this person a “market expert”:
Jen works for a distributor of CPAP supplies. She is familiar with which masks are the most popular in sales, the sales of my product competition (the device that only sterilizes) and has direct access to customers. Janz is new to the area, therefore has fresh connections that would be beneficial.
3) How I found and contacted this person:
I first met Jen when she came to the Sleep Clinic and presented her pitch. She was trying to win over business for Janz. I still had her business card, so I called her.
4) Nature of Exchange: What they did for me, what is the return expectation:
It was really laid back. Jen is easy going and seemed eager to answer my questions. I think it helped that I work for the Sleep Clinic and Janz is still pursuing customers. I was very curious about my competitor’s sales and how truly interested customers were on having their CPAP masks cleaned for them.
5) How will including them enhance my ability to exploit an opportunity:
She actually sells my competitor’s product directly to the customer. Including her would be a must as she is an expert on what the customer wants and also has an ongoing clientele.
Industry Supplier:
1) Who they are and what their background is.
Claudia, CVR Medical Supply
2) How is this person an “industry expert”:
Claudia is the owner of CVR Medical Supply here in Kaiserslautern, Germany. Her business has been the monopoly for the CPAP machines and supplies industry for Tricare Europe, which is the military provided insurance. She is aware that Janz Medical Supply has “moved in” on her territory.
3) How I found and contacted this person:
I have a very good work relationship with Claudia as her business serves our military patients. I simply emailed her and she stopped by the clinic for a chat.
4) Nature of Exchange: What they did for me, what is the return expectation:
Claudia is a lot of fun. She is energetic and always wants to help me with anything, whether it’s accommodating a patient’s needs or answering questions. I was interested in knowing how her business promotes products, especially my competitor’s product. They have the actual product on display right at the counter! She said that many patients want the CPAP mask cleaner, although some customer’s insurance will not cover it unless they have a severe health issue i.e. asthma, CPOD etc.
5) How will including them enhance my ability to exploit an opportunity:
Including this connection would be crucial for me if I were to pursue my business here in Germany. Claudia is well established with both the military customers and the Local Nationals. Her experience in the industry is beyond comparison. I would be able to quickly reach an enormous amount of customers.
Finally: Reflect. This experience requires you to do a little 'targeted networking.' How will this experience shape how you participate in any future networking events? Did this experience differ from your networking experiences in the past? How?
Targeted networking can be difficult. I was extremely lucky that I pursued a business idea that happened to relate to my everyday work life. My networking connections fell in my lap. It also helps that I am a friendly, outgoing person who always tries to build my social capital, because I never know when I might need something. This case in point. This experience made me proud of my networking skills. I was glad that I already had built relationships and the individuals were happy to answer my questions. In the future, I will continue to build as many networks as possible. The real difference with this networking experience than in the past was that I was required to reach out to experts that included a business owner, a Doctor and a Supplier. I had not actually utilized that network in that way before.
Hi Elizabeth!
ReplyDeleteI liked that you used the network you already had to gain insight and feedback on the three areas of knowledge. I think that hearing from people first hand who deal with the market, customers, and competitors for your hopeful business will definitely help fine tune your business idea. You have every aspect that was needed for this assignment and I have no critiques.
Hey Liz,
ReplyDeleteAs always, I feel you made some really awesome contacts for this post. All three experts fit their roles perfectly. I found your contact with your domain expert, Dr. Rodgers, to be extremely crucial if you do plan on pursuing this cleaning service/ product further. Considering he is a doctor specializing in prescribing drugs and other things related to sleep apnea, he would be extremely helpful because he would be able to mention to his patients about your service/product. This would not only help his patients, but it would help your business grow. Really good post, it seems you made contacts that could definitely be used to help you in the future.