21A – Reading Reflection No. 2
21A – Reading Reflection No. 2
For my second reading assignment, I chose How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life by Scott Adams.
1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?
The general theme of this book was all about teaching techniques on how to live life and attempt to be successful. Scott Adams, the Dilbert artist, attempts to prove why “goals are bad” and “systems are good.” He describes his life in detail and constantly repeats himself. He highlights a billion of his failures throughout the book.
2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
The one connection that I had with the book that enhanced what I have learned in ENT3003 is how he talks about presenting yourself to others. Your tone, a good handshake and looking someone in their eyes is very important. Especially with first impressions. I also like how he related his failures as opportunities to achieve success. This reminds me of in class when Dr. Pryor tells us to not be afraid of failures, but to use them as teachable moments.
3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
I would design an exercise that would entail a list of goals vs. systems. That way the student would truly see the difference of what Mr. Adams was attempting to teach. He says a goal sets you up for potential failure, whereas a system is ongoing and how we accomplish goals. So basically: Goal – lose 5 pounds. System – go to the gym every day. Another assignment that may be good would to write a short persuasion speech. He goes over techniques for persuasion that may help some people. I am a persuasive person so it didn’t benefit me.
4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
I am going to be brutally honest, I hated this book. It was extremely boring! It was especially hard after loving the last book I read for class so much. The biggest surprise to me was that how many times he used “I.” I was so SICK of hearing about him and his dull stories. He repeats constantly, which makes my skin crawl. I am not sure if it is because of my age (39), but the book was filled with complete common sense. I do believe it would benefit young adults; as he even goes out of his way to give you grammar lessons. For instance, don’t say, “Isn’t” going to the store. The one thing I did learn was how much guest speakers can be paid; I was shocked how much people can be paid for 30 minutes of blabber. I really expected to learn something from this book and for me it was a complete waste of time. I’m not sure how this book is rated almost 5 stars; it’s full of common sense and was almost like that “trying to hard” to be funny. Sadly, I don’t recommend this book.
For my second reading assignment, I chose How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life by Scott Adams.
1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?
The general theme of this book was all about teaching techniques on how to live life and attempt to be successful. Scott Adams, the Dilbert artist, attempts to prove why “goals are bad” and “systems are good.” He describes his life in detail and constantly repeats himself. He highlights a billion of his failures throughout the book.
2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
The one connection that I had with the book that enhanced what I have learned in ENT3003 is how he talks about presenting yourself to others. Your tone, a good handshake and looking someone in their eyes is very important. Especially with first impressions. I also like how he related his failures as opportunities to achieve success. This reminds me of in class when Dr. Pryor tells us to not be afraid of failures, but to use them as teachable moments.
3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
I would design an exercise that would entail a list of goals vs. systems. That way the student would truly see the difference of what Mr. Adams was attempting to teach. He says a goal sets you up for potential failure, whereas a system is ongoing and how we accomplish goals. So basically: Goal – lose 5 pounds. System – go to the gym every day. Another assignment that may be good would to write a short persuasion speech. He goes over techniques for persuasion that may help some people. I am a persuasive person so it didn’t benefit me.
4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
I am going to be brutally honest, I hated this book. It was extremely boring! It was especially hard after loving the last book I read for class so much. The biggest surprise to me was that how many times he used “I.” I was so SICK of hearing about him and his dull stories. He repeats constantly, which makes my skin crawl. I am not sure if it is because of my age (39), but the book was filled with complete common sense. I do believe it would benefit young adults; as he even goes out of his way to give you grammar lessons. For instance, don’t say, “Isn’t” going to the store. The one thing I did learn was how much guest speakers can be paid; I was shocked how much people can be paid for 30 minutes of blabber. I really expected to learn something from this book and for me it was a complete waste of time. I’m not sure how this book is rated almost 5 stars; it’s full of common sense and was almost like that “trying to hard” to be funny. Sadly, I don’t recommend this book.
Hi Elizabeth!
ReplyDeleteI like that you gave an extremely honest review at the book and now I know to stay away from this one for the third book we need to read. In the book I also read I felt like sometimes the author repeated his points so many times that it was to the point of boredom. I think that your submission includes every aspect that was expected and I don’t have any critiques.
Hey Liz,
ReplyDeleteI also read this book and I honestly enjoyed it. It was interesting to me that he employed upon the idea of systems over goals. I honestly feel true success comes from a combination of the two, and I didn't really feel as if Adams stressed this idea at all in his book. It was also very interesting that you had a similar exercise as me after reading this book. Honestly, I think that could be a good thing or a bad thing, either Adams did very well getting his systems vs goals point across, or the book was shallow enough that was the only thing either of us could get out of it. I honestly don't know which is true.